[Samba] SMBD CPU climbs sky high when writing DPX files

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 11:43:59 MST 2009

Hi Volker,

> The problem is the following: When creating a file we have
> to prove that the file does not exist in a different
> upper/lower case combination. Under Unix, the only way to
> prove this is to list the whole directory and do a case
> insensitive comparison on each existing file.

Thank you SO much. Your suggestion totally solved the problem. It makes
sense when you think about it.

Results:  When capturing standard definition DPX files, CPU utilization
is now down at 7 percent (out of 400 percent) and holds steady forever
basically.  I was able to capture 150,000 frames (83 minutes) before I
got bored and stopped my test.

In addition, I'm now capturing HD-444 DPX files which run at about 260
MB/sec and that's doing fine as well -- running at 37 percent total CPU
(out of 400 percent).

Cheers,
Andy