[Samba] SMBD CPU climbs sky high when writing DPX files

Thu Nov 5 09:20:30 MST 2009

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 10:58:07AM -0500, Andy Liebman wrote:
> The difference being, you say "lower" and he said "upper". Is there a
> reason to use one versus the other? I'll try out your suggestion and

That's just taste.

> report back to say if that solves the problem or not.  But reading
> Jeremy's posting, I'm not sure why it would make a difference.  It seems
> the case [in]sensitive issue was about reading directories.  In the case
> of capturing DPX files, I am writing to them.  But are you saying the
> problem really applies to both getting directory listings and to writing
> to a directory?

The problem is the following: When creating a file we have
to prove that the file does not exist in a different
upper/lower case combination. Under Unix, the only way to
prove this is to list the whole directory and do a case
insensitive comparison on each existing file.

> If this does fix the problem, what will happen if the application or
> user creates files with a mixture of upper and lower case?  I don't have
> control over whether the application writes "Media" versus "media" in
> the default path to files.  Or won't it really matter, as Windows sees
> them as the same anyway?

Doesn't matter. Windows does not distinguish between both.

Volker