[Samba] SMBD CPU climbs sky high when writing DPX files

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Thu Nov 5 08:58:07 MST 2009

> I have already replied:
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2009-November/151677.html
>
> Volker

Thanks Volker,

Your reply did vanish into thin air.  Not in my Spam or Trash.  So, it's
a good thing you sent me the new link. As it turns out, doing some
Googling I found a similar suggestion yesterday from Jeremy.

    http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/HOWTO/Samba-LargeDirectory-HOWTO

Jeremy's suggestion was:

	case sensitive = True
	default case = upper
	preserve case = no
	short preserve case = no

Your suggestion was:

    preserve case = no
    short preserve case = no
    default case = lower
    case sensitive = yes

The difference being, you say "lower" and he said "upper". Is there a
reason to use one versus the other? I'll try out your suggestion and
report back to say if that solves the problem or not.  But reading
Jeremy's posting, I'm not sure why it would make a difference.  It seems
the case [in]sensitive issue was about reading directories.  In the case
of capturing DPX files, I am writing to them.  But are you saying the
problem really applies to both getting directory listings and to writing
to a directory?

If this does fix the problem, what will happen if the application or
user creates files with a mixture of upper and lower case?  I don't have
control over whether the application writes "Media" versus "media" in
the default path to files.  Or won't it really matter, as Windows sees
them as the same anyway?

Thanks again,

Andy