[Samba] SMBD CPU climbs sky high when writing DPX files

Thu Nov 5 04:27:26 MST 2009

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 10:01:46PM -0500, Andy Liebman wrote:
> 1)  why is smbd cpu utilization climbing so high in just 40 minutes?
> 2)  could the cause be related to creating, opening and closing so many
> files so quickly?  After all, we are creating, opening and closing 30
> files each second.
> 3)  is there anything I can do about it (besides give up)? Samba doesn't
> seem to be running out of memory. There is still 3-cores worth of CPU
> being unused at the time the capture fails.

Very likely you're hitting the case [in]sensivity issue.

Try to set

preserve case = no
short preserve case = no
default case = lower
case sensitive = yes

This assumes that all files on your files system are
all lower-case, all new files will also be created that way,
regardless of what the Windows clients request.

Volker