[Samba] Phantom sharename

mike5 Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Wed Nov 4 20:47:00 MST 2009

smbclient reports there is a sharename 'l' that points to
/usr/local/Documents on the host, but there is no reference to it in the
smb.conf file. I have puzzled over this for days - I must have missed
something obvious.

Here is the output from smbclient, followed by the smb.conf file with all
the comments removed.

napoleon 526 ~ $ smbclient -L localhost
Enter mike's password:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        homes           Disk      Home Directories
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (napoleon server (Samba,
Ubuntu))
        mike            Disk      Home Directories
        l               Disk
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.3.2]

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        NAPOLEON             napoleon server (Samba, Ubuntu)

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            NAPOLEON
napoleon 527 ~ $
napoleon 527 ~ $ cat smb.conf
[global]
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
;   wins server = w.x.y.z
   dns proxy = no
;   name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
;   interfaces = 127.0.0.0/8 eth0
;   bind interfaces only = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 1000
   syslog = 0
  security = user
  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
   encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = tdbsam
   obey pam restrictions = yes
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
   passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:*
%n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
   pam password change = yes
map to guest = bad user
   domain logons = yes
;   logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U
;   logon script = logon.cmd
; add user script = /usr/sbin/adduser --quiet --disabled-password --gecos ""
%u
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   printing = cups
;   printcap name = cups
;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m
;   message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup "%f" "%m" %s; rm %s' &
;   idmap uid = 10000-20000
;   idmap gid = 10000-20000
;   template shell = /bin/bash
;   winbind enum groups = yes