[Samba] Cannot Join Domain After Samba Upgrade

jlam jlam at quia.com
Wed Nov 4 17:50:25 MST 2009

Hi All,

I've been scratching my head at this problem for a while now.  I recently
upgraded from Samba 3.0.25 to Samba 3.4.2.  We use Samba as our domain
controller.  However, ever since the upgrade, new machines have been unable
to join the domain.  In Vista, I can the error that I am using a bad
username or password.  In Win 7 Pro, I get an error about the action not
being supported.

It seems unlikely that it is truly a password issue as our Domain Admin
accounts can log into machines that have previously joined the domain with
the proper password.  Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

Our smb.conf is as follows:

[global]

        unix charset = CP850
        workgroup = QUIACORP
        server string = Samba Server Version %v

        netbios name = europa

        hosts allow = 127. 192.168.1.

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        max log size = 50

        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam:/var/samba/private/passdb.tdb
        encrypt passwords = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Reenter*new*password* %n\n
*passwd:*\
all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
        pam password change = yes

        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes

        logon script =
        logon path =

        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/false -d /dev/null
'%u'
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel '%u'
        rename user script = /usr/sbin/usermod -l '%unew' '%uold'
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -M '%u'
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd '%g'
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -G '%g' '%u'
        set primary group script = /usr/sbin/usermod -g '%g' '%u'

        enable privileges = yes

        local master = yes
        os level = 99
        preferred master = yes
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw

[shared]
   path = /storage/sdb2/SHARED