[Samba] Thousands of TIME_WAIT connections with CUPS?

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Nov 4 17:17:57 MST 2009

> I don't have an answer for your actual question, but if it takes
> several seconds to get this list, it's probably because of DNS
> queries, and using "-n" will speed it up dramatically.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was actually using "cat /proc/net/tcp" as
this is what the monitoring software uses, so there's no DNS lookups
there.  Just the sheer number of them (and any processing done by the
monitoring software) is the cause of the delay.

Adding -n when using 'netstat' only shaves off 0.3 seconds, I guess
because 99% of them are all "localhost"!

But of course the connections shouldn't be there in the first place, so
any ideas how to get rid of them would be much appreciated!  I am only
running Samba 3.2 though, so perhaps the problem will go away when I get
a chance to upgrade to 3.4...

Cheers,
Adam.