[Samba] Print Driver Detection

Jeremy R. jeremy at novawave.net
Wed Nov 4 13:14:13 MST 2009

Hello:

I have a few Mac and Linux systems which use CUPS for their printing
subsystem. I need to print to some printers via a Windows server
(which serves them over SMB). I do not have administrative access to
the Windows server.

Is there a way to have CUPS/Samba choose the correct printing driver,
or at least use some "sensible default" that will work with most
printers? The printers are a variety of models and makes, and
maintaining a list of drivers for each printer is not practical.
Windows clients seem to be able to choose a good driver without user
intervention, so I don't see why Samba wouldn't allow me to do the
same on a CUPS system.

To clarify, I know that I can add a SMB printer using the smb://
network protocol; I just don't know how to have it choose the correct
driver.

(On another note, is it possible to add a printer from the command-
line that requires domain authentication without providing the
password in the command, which is visible in the process list? If I
could provide it over stdin or something similar, that would be
preferable.)

--
Jeremy R.
NovaWave Solutions