[Samba] Accessing Windows file-system from Linux samba server

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Nov 4 03:43:17 MST 2009

Adam Nielsen wrote:

> When you mount the share, specify a Windows username to connect as
> (mount ... -o username=tim)

Thanks for your response.
But sadly, this does not make the slightest difference.
Incidentally, the machine is running Windows XP Pro,
and I am the Administrator.

I can browse in one share, but not the other,
although as far as I can see everything about them is identical,
except that they are on different drives:

[root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGD
/mnt/win
[root at helen ~]# ls /mnt/win
The Sims 2
[root at helen ~]# umount /mnt/win
[root at helen ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=tim,password=****,rw  //harriet/EAGC
/mnt/win
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366