[Samba] ldap passwd sync old password

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:32:41 MST 2009

I had the same situation (Solaris 10, Sun Dir Server, Samba 3.0.33.)
I wrote an external script to change the password.  Make sure the script
is owned by root and with perms 600 or 700 since it needs the LDAP super
user's password.

#vi smb.conf
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.sh %u
ldap passwd sync = no

#vi /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.sh

#!/bin/bash
USER="uid="$1",ou=people,o=domain.com"
echo -n  New password:
read NEWPASS
date >> /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.log
echo $USER >> /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.log
echo $NEWPASS >> /etc/samba/smbldappasswd.log
/opt/SUNWdsee/dsee6/bin/ldappasswd -h obelix -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-w ***  -v -s $NEWPASS  $USER