[Samba] Windows clients connecting to Samba with OpenLDAP password backend

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 07:30:43 MST 2009

Are you using UFS or ZFS on the underlying file system-  ZFS has a lot
more granularity - which is both a blessing and curse when it comes do
ZFS  / Windows ACL integration.   Although why smbclient should be
different either I don't know.

Are the initial ACL entries the same on a new file or directory when
created with Windows vs smbclient?

Are you using winbind at all?    Is the server a PDC?  Are there
multiple servers?

I ran into one issue with samba member servers in a domain:   if  I set
looked at permissions via windows it would show entries for
"UNIX/somename" not "MYDOMAIN/somename."    (this was when I was using
LDAP for unix accounts but not for the actual samba passwords.