[Samba] Windows clients connecting to Samba with OpenLDAP password backend
Adam Tauno Williams
awilliam at whitemice.org
Mon Nov 2 06:38:51 MST 2009
On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 12:56 +0000, Jonathan Adams wrote:
> I am having real troubles with one of our servers.
> We have been using samba in our company for more than 11 years now, since
> version 1.9.16 ...
> We run Sun Solaris on our servers.
> We used to run NIS+ as our password system, but due to it's almost
> impossibility to manage (basically only I knew how) we've moved to LDAP ...
> We have now decided to centralize all our Samba passwords into the LDAP.
Because LDAP is easier to manage! :) I've been an OpenLDAP admin for 10
+ years... that really illustrates how horrible NIS was.
> On the one machine configured to use LDAP for passwords we have a mysterious
> problem, If we access the machine via a Windows computer (XP, Vista, etc) we
> can create files and folders we can even rename and delete folders, but we
> cannot rename or delete files.
This sounds like a basic permissions problem. If NSS is working, and
you've authenticated, it pretty much has to be a permissions problem.
> If we access the machine via a Solaris or Linux machine using smbclient we
> can do everything.
Maybe those are invoking "unix extensions". I've got no clue how that
specifically would effect permission handling.
> I originally wondered if it was due to the Sun compiled Samba 3.0.35 server
> that is installed, so i removed it and compiled in 3.4.2 with OpenLDAP
> support, but it has exactly the same issues.
Which even more strongly points to a permissions issue.
> This problem does not occur on our other machines (that run ldap as their
> naming service in all but samba) ...
I'm not sure what this means.
> I'm happy to show all relevant information and logs/debugs if
> I have seen some people talk about this before on the internet, but there
> doesn't appear to be any answer.
More information about the samba