[Samba] net groupmap woes - solved + root in domain admins solved

Brian Krusic brian at krusic.com
Thu May 28 18:56:51 GMT 2009

Hi all,

So I read in the Samba docs where in order to map a unix group with a
windows group (when using LDAP backend), that unixgroup must exist in
the LDAP db even though it already exists in /etc/group.

So I added the unix group of root to my LDAP db via ldapadd and using
an ldif file with the desired values.

I removed the group mapping via net groupmap delete "Domain Admins" as
net groupmap modify didn't work and added the mapping of Domain Admins
to root and all is well.

I had to unjoin/rejoin the domain so that the root login worked as an
Administrator on the XP box but all is well.

- Brian