[Samba] Best Way to Securely Mount SMB/CIFS Shares

lists at openenterprise.ca lists at openenterprise.ca
Thu May 21 18:05:50 GMT 2009

Although I am comfortable mounting smbf/cifs shares for myself, as root,
I am trying to determine the optimal way to have users get specific
mounts, without having to put in any user account details in fstab, and
specific mounts for specific users. I know I can create a .credentials
file in each users /home/user folder and point to that in fstab. But I
dont want to have multiple lines in fstab for each user.

Can a mount line be added to a users bash_profile and using a hidden/hashed

credentials file? or something similar so that only those mounts needed
for any particular user are mounted when they log in. Rather than in
fstab and mounted for everyone?

Or maybe there is another way to securely create different windows share
mounts for different users without having them in fstab?

CentOS 5.3, x86
Samba: 3.033375