[Samba] Samba Panic

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Thu May 21 17:00:23 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:14:54AM +0100, Andrew Porter wrote:
> Below is a log file of a panic that occurs on two different sites
> running Debian Stable Samba 3.2.5.  The problem is triggered by Sophos
> Control Centre doing it's hourly check for updates, and as SCC is
> running on a user's PC in both cases causes problems for the user.  I've
> tried everything and cannot figure it out - anyone got any
> pointers/ideas what to do next ?

If this is reliably reproducible, can you try doing the following:

Ensure you have an smbd with debug symbols, then add the line:

panic action = "/bin/sleep 90000"

to the [global] section of your smb.conf. Then reproduce the
problem. The crashed smbd will be stuck waiting for the sleep
to exit, it will be the parent process of the sleep process.

Attach to it with gdb and then type "bt" to get a full stack
backtrace. This looks to me a bit like a null pointer indirection
which we may have fixed in the current 3.2.x code in the git tree
(but I can't promise that until I see the backtrace).

Jeremy.