[Samba] Samba and Migration to an existing LDAP backend

John Goubeaux goubeaux at education.ucsb.edu
Tue May 19 23:09:46 GMT 2009

>John,
>
>You can migrate all your /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group entries to
>LDAP using the PADL Migration Tools. See:
>http://www.padl.com/OSS/MigrationTools.html
>
>After the UNIX system accounts have been migrated to LDAP, just execute:
>	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e ldapsam
>	pdbedit -i smbpasswd -e ldapsam -g
>
>The first migrates user SambaSAM account info, the second your group
>configuration.
>
>PS: If your samba account info is in tdb files (ie: tdbsam) then execute:
>	pdbedit -i tdbsam -e ldapsam
>	pdbedit -i tdbsam -e ldapsam -g
>
>- John T.
>--
>John H Terpstra
>
>"If at first you don't succeed, don't go sky-diving!"

Thanks John,

What if the user's passwd in /etc/shadow is not the same as in their
existing directory entry ?

Meaning, user  <bob>  has an /etc/passwd entry ( crypt) for the old
samba server but ALSO has a directory entry uid=bob,  but with a
passwd  (SSSH ) that is different ?

I do not see a way to populate their directory entry AND sync up
their entry without running pdbedit -a bob   and entering their
Directory passwd in clear txt as am prompted.

Meaning I am trying to avoid having all the users have to re-enter a
passwd but maybe this is not possible ?

-john

--
John Goubeaux