[Samba] Newbie question - force file permission to user's secondary groups.

Conta Falsa 337 contafalsa337 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 11:24:07 GMT 2009

I read http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html the
part regarding "group" or "force group" directive, and it's not clear to me
if I can have more than one instance of this directive, since I need the
group to be forced depending on which share the user is creating the file.

 An example:

  user: james
  first share: projectX (he is a member of the group projectX)
  second share: projectY (he is a member of the group projectY)

 James is a member of both groups, since I don't use PDC (Vista clients),
the first time the user tries to access the shared folder, he will be asked
for the password, say he first opens /projectX, then he will be forced do
group projectX, but what if he opens projectY and tries to write there?

  - Is it possible to have "force group" on the shares section, so each
share has one?
  - Will the user be asked for the password again,if he opens the second
share (without rebooting Windows)? The "change" of the primary group will
happen transparently, or the user would have to disconnect, and then open
the /projectY (therefore having to type his username/password again)?

 thanks for your time.