[Samba] Moving premises, new server at new building

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu May 14 23:49:45 GMT 2009

Adam Williams wrote:
> I'd just have your current samba server as the master ldap server and
> PDC, and have the server at the other location be a BDC, and it can
> either be a slave ldap server, master/master ldap configuration, or
> just connect to the master ldap server directly for queries.  i have a
> few remote sites on dsl or t-1 and they just query the LDAP server
> directly.  also, with ldap you can specify the roaming profile
> location so just have the users at the remote site load their roaming
> profiles from the remote servers.

Sorry, that's not quite what I meant. We are moving everyone to the new
premises but the people in charge want a fully functioning system at the
new location before the PCs are moved over. The old site (along with the
current PDC and all our other servers) will be shut down after the move
is complete.

The other thing I should probably have mentioned is that we also have a
remote office which is running as an LDAP slave+BDC. The remote office
can suffer some down time during the move without too much trouble but
obviously they need to be up and running with what ever we use at the
new site.

We aren't using roaming profiles.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>