[Samba] 2003 server member of a SMB3 domain

aurelien sergent au.sergent at gmail.com
Thu May 14 17:53:48 GMT 2009

Hi all

I am facing the following issue :

I 've just installed a fresh windows 2003 server and want to add it to a
samba 3 domain.
netbios is ok on windows, I can log onto the smb server shares... but if I
try to add the 2003 server to the domain it echoes the an error saying that
the PDC for the domain XXX (netbios domain format, not dns) can't be found.

I don't understand why because I have another 2003 server which has joined
the smb domain without any issue some month ago.

client : windows 2003 SP2 (not R2)
server PDC :  Version 3.2.7

global part of smb.conf below :

        workgroup = xxx
        netbios aliases = yyy01
        server string = yyy01
        allow trusted domains = No
        passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        unix password sync = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        log level = 1
        max log size = 50
        announce version = 6
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts  host bcast
        time server = Yes
        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE SO_REUSEADDR SO_BROADCAST TCP_NODELAY
IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
        load printers = No
        add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -m %u
        delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel -r %u
        add group script = /usr/sbin/groupadd %g
        delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
        add user to group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -A %u %g
        delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/groupmod -R %u %g
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/adduser -n -g grp_machines -c
grp_machines -d /dev/null -s /bin/false %u
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%u\%m
        logon home = \\%L\%u\.win_profile\%m
        domain logons = Yes