[Samba] Moving premises, new server at new building

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu May 14 00:20:28 GMT 2009

Hi all,

Our company is looking at moving premises some time next year, the plan
at the moment is to have a new server room with all new servers set up
at the new building prior to moving the workstations over. I'm wondering
if anyone has done anything like this and what the best way to proceed is.

We are using an LDAP backend. I am not completely averse to unix UIDs
changing (although I would rather they didn't), I *REALLY* don't want to
have to manually rejoin everyone to the domain though.

We have two internet connections at the old building, one is slow and
cheap, the other is faster and relatively expensive. The connection at
the new building will be fast and cheap. So it would be possible to sync
data between systems in the lead up to the change over as long as it
wasn't too much data.

The options I have come up with are:

1) Set up new office as BDC and LDAP slave, upgrade to PDC and LDAP
master as part of the move.

2) Set up new office as new domain, bring over old server (or create a
BDC for the old domain) with logon script that migrates machines when
they are first powered on at the new premises (This gets a little messy
when it comes to user profiles and such but I believe it should be
manageable).

3) Find something like ADMT for samba?

At the moment the first option is looking like the way to go but I would
be interested to hear of any other options and people's opinions. I
would also be very happy if anyone can point out any possible pitfalls
we are likely to face.

Thanks,

--
*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *