[Samba] Intermittently Get "Target filesystem does not support long file names" when copying file to Samba share

Tue May 12 11:16:52 GMT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 03:45:53AM -0700, Robinson, Eric wrote:
> I have two CentOS servers running samba3-3.0.34-37. When I connect to a
> samba share from my Windows 2003 R2 servers, and then try to copy a file
> to it, I often get the message "target filesystem does not support long
> filenames." Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've been
> fighting this problem for 2 years. I've replaced my Windows servers,
> changed my Windows version, replaced my Linux servers, changed my Linux
> version, and tried various versions of samba, but the problem persists.
> Does anyone on this list have any idea what causes this and how to fix
> it?

I don't think it helps if you send this mail daily. You
might want to provide more information like instructions to
reproduce it or comparative sniffs between the two cases.
This is a problem that is not immediatly obvious, and it
does not become so by just sending the same mail on a
regular basis.

Volker