[Samba] Intermittently Get "Target filesystem does not support long file names" when copying file to Samba share

Robinson, Eric eric.robinson at psmnv.com
Tue May 12 10:45:53 GMT 2009

I have two CentOS servers running samba3-3.0.34-37. When I connect to a
samba share from my Windows 2003 R2 servers, and then try to copy a file
to it, I often get the message "target filesystem does not support long
filenames." Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've been
fighting this problem for 2 years. I've replaced my Windows servers,
changed my Windows version, replaced my Linux servers, changed my Linux
version, and tried various versions of samba, but the problem persists.
Does anyone on this list have any idea what causes this and how to fix
it?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - May 12, 2009
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for Robinson, Eric,samba at lists.samba.org. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and might not represent those of Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care. Warning: Although Physician Select Management and Physician's Managed Care have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.