[Samba] Samba machine's account migration

Gary Dale garydale at rogers.com
Sat May 9 11:17:59 GMT 2009

Maxime V wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I moved my samba to another server, but my windows computer can't login.
> I tested this: put win computer out of domain, and re-add it. But i loose my personal application changes.
>
> How can i allow windows computers to login to my samba domain ?
> Should i create machines' account with the same linux ID ?
>
> Really thanks for help,
> Regards.
>
> Mél.

I don't know if this helps or not but what I do is log into the Windows
machine with a local administrator account then use the Windows Network
Id dialogue to add the machine to the domain.

Right-click on My Computer, select "properties" then on the Computer
Name tab click on Network Id.

Note that you need a working "add machine script" in your smb.conf.
Debian uses "/usr/sbin/useradd -g machines -c Machine -d /dev/null -s
/bin/false %u".