[Samba] Samba and LDAP

Christian Rost cr at rocon-it.de
Fri May 8 07:44:45 GMT 2009

>I am trying to set up an additional domain server within  my network
>using SAMBA and LDAP.  There's a problem that I think is with LDAP.  If
>any of you have set up a system like this, I would appreciate your
>expertise.

What does your current setup look like? What have you already established?

>Question # 1:  My PDC, which controls the domain and SAMBA, should
>clearly use LDAP server.  Should the additional server use SAMBA server
>or client?  Workstations will sign onto the domain and then onto shares
>on both the PDC and the additional server.

LDAP and Samba is much like AD and Windows-Servers, only with the old Domain like PDC/BDC setup instead of the DC setup. By using LDAP you can share e.g. user, group, machine accounts between different linux/ samba servers. So you only have to add/change/modify the LDAP based data once and it will be distributed to all participating linux servers.

>Question # 2:  If I copy the / directory to a flash drive, can I just
>copy it back to the hard drive if I end up with a configuration
>impossibility?  I've had to reload the system once already because of
>LDAP configuration problems, and I'd rather not do it again.
>
>The SAMBA shares on the PDC are working fine.  But I can't share thing
>on the other server unless I set up a smbpasswd set, and that's a pain.

Well, you copied your configuration to the second server? Did you configure your LDAP-server to replicate data with each other?

You only need to backup you /etc directory, because that's where the configuration is stored. If you misconfigured something, you can easily go back to the previous state by restoring the old configuration files.

Cheers,

Christian

Christian Rost
roCon - Informationstechnologie