[Samba] unable to map to share

McGranahan, Jamen jamen.mcgranahan at Vanderbilt.Edu
Tue May 5 14:55:27 GMT 2009

I get STATUS_LOGIN_FAILURE on the client. I completely opened up the
firewall on the Samba server to my machine on ports 445 & 139 and yet
I'm still not able to connect to the share, nor does it authenticate
correctly. So, the client is not connecting, which in reality, we
already knew. It's something on the server, but we're just not sure what
else to check. Any ideas?

Jamen McGranahan
Systems Services Librarian
Vanderbilt University

-----Original Message-----
From: Volker Lendecke [mailto:Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 3:40 PM
To: McGranahan, Jamen
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [Samba] unable to map to share

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 03:33:57PM -0500, McGranahan, Jamen wrote:
> It should 1) automatically recognize me since we are authenticating
> through Active Directory and 2) create the share so that I can
> read/write to it, but neither one happens. It actually prompts me for
> my username & password and then errors out:
>

> Enter the user name for 'libdig4.library.vanderbilt.edu': mcgranj
>
> Enter the password for libdig4.library.vanderbilt.edu: <password>
>
> System error 53 has occurred.

System error 53 usually is a problem with name resolution.
Can you verify that your client actually connected to the server? Can
you provide a network trace of the connection attempt? Information on
how to create useful network traces can be found under

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Capture_Packets

Volker