[Samba] file locking options in smb.conf

Anoop P.A. Anoop_P.A at pmc-sierra.com
Tue May 5 11:27:30 GMT 2009

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the reply.
I want basic file locking work as expected. ( i.e. I want to prevent files from getting corrupted while shared across multiple platforms).
If some file is opened writing in one client, other clients should not be able to write in to it.

My server failing in many scenarios, I could explain one of the scenario as follows.

1. Opened a share using browser in Win XP machine.
2. Mounted same share in a Linux machine through nfs.
3. Initiated a 1 GB file transfer to share in windows
4. Same time tried to copy a file with same name in nfs share.It asked to overwrite existing file( I expect it not to start copy as write lock of that file is being obtained by CIFS client)
5. After a while both the transfers finished. MD5SUM showed resultant file got corrupted.

I would like to know best possible file locking options which will prevent files being corrupted while sharing across multiple platform / multiple protocols

Thanks
Anoop