[Samba] file locking options in smb.conf

Anoop P.A. Anoop_P.A at pmc-sierra.com
Tue May 5 09:42:57 GMT 2009

Hi List,

I have a file server which runs samba-3.0.28a. My aim is to share a logical volume ( with XFS filesystem) using SAMBA, NFS and FTP. Since it is a file server I’m very much concerned about file locking. After googling and reading a lot I had set file locking flags in smb.conf

lock directory = /var/lock/samba

strict locking = no

locking = yes

level2 oplocks = no

kernel oplocks = yes

oplocks = yes

But still I am having lots of problems in file locking. Following conditions are not working as expected

CIFS(linux) --> CIFS(windows)

NFS --> CIFS

CIFS --> FTP

How ever CIFS(windows) --> CIFS ( windows) locking working as expected.

Can any one suggest best suitable combination file locking parameters for me?

Thanks & Regards,

Anoop P A