[Samba] Samba share of a NFS mount

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon May 4 23:42:33 GMT 2009

Tim Boyer wrote:
> The easiest way to do so
> is to NFS mount the directory on my Samba server, and export the directory
> as a Samba share.

It's been a while and I don't remember the specifics, but there are
problems relating to locking when you do this.

 From memory it is OK as long as the samba server is the only NFS client
accessing that share, but as soon as you have an NFS client accessing
files that the samba clients have open things start to get messy. The
proper way to do it is to run a samba server on the NFS server itself.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>