[Samba] working file server, but logs filling with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Alberto Moreno portsbsd at gmail.com
Mon May 4 17:24:24 GMT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Barnaby Scott <bds at waywood.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with this.
>
> I have a Samba server (Samba 3.3.3 running under FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE), with
> 3 Windows workstations all running XP Professional and 3 laptops (1 XP
> home,1 XP professional, 1 Vista). There is no Windows domain invloved, just
> a workgroup.
>
> Everything works absolutely fine, except that my logs are filling up with
> errors similar to this:
>
> [2009/05/02 18:40:10, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(740)
> create_connection_server_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> I cannot trace this to any particlaur activity by any user - in fact many of
> these errors occur at a similar time at around 3am every night, when there
> is certainly no user activity.
>
> Obviously to troubleshoot this properly you will need logs etc. I have
> copied  my smb.conf below, but to save me posting all sorts of irrelevant
> stuff, perhaps a first step would be to let me know what else is needed in
> order to look into this further. Or perhaps there is something obvious I
> have done wrong already!
>
> I can find literally only 2 Google hits for the exact string
> "create_connection_server_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED", neither of
> which are relevant to my situation. Any help would therefore be very
> gratefully received!
>
> Thanks
>
> ==smb.conf===============================
>
> [global]
>   workgroup = CHADLINGTON
>   server string = Samba Server
>   map to guest = Bad User
>   passdb backend = tdbsam
>   log level = 3
>   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>   max log size = 50
>   smb ports = 139
>   dns proxy = No
>   hosts allow = 192.168.1., 127.0.0.1
>   hosts deny = ALL
>
> [homes]
>   comment = Home Directories
>   read only = No
>   browseable = No
>
> [printers]
>   comment = All Printers
>   path = /var/spool/samba
>   printable = Yes
>   browseable = No
>
> [music]
>   comment = shared music
>   path = /home/music
>   write list = @samba-clients
>   guest ok = Yes

-
LIving the dream...

   Hi just curios.

   If u test the connection for each user, do u see anything wrong?
   Maybe u already test your connections?
   Increase the debug level > 3 before u test this.
   After each test read the log file.

   Example: inside the bsd box.

   smbclient -L //your-server-name -U your-user-name

   U must see all shares of this server.

   smbclient //your-server-name/home-username -U username
Password:

Domain=[YourDomain] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.33-3.7.el5]
smb: \>

  Once u access, u must create, list, delete, edit, etc all the files
and directories.

U must test with all your users && all your shares.

   This I do everytime I build a samba server. Inside the Unix/Linux
box and with the user desktop.

   See u latter!!!