[Samba] working file server, but logs filling with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Barnaby Scott bds at waywood.co.uk
Mon May 4 11:43:26 GMT 2009

> On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 10:18:43AM +0100, Barnaby Scott wrote:
>> I tried sending a log but it was too large for the list. This is another
>> excerpt, which is hopefully not too big. It is clipped to include only
>> the activity that started at 03:36:30. It is from a different
>> workstation to the last one, and is again logging at level 3.
>>
>> I hope you can spot what I've done wrong!
>
> There's nothing wrong, it's just that this debug message has
> a silly debug level of 0. I'm changing that to 1 now.
>
> Volker

Many thanks for looking into this. I confess it took me a minute or two to
understand your reply! Now that (I think) I do understand it, can I just
ask why you are changing it to debug level 1, rather than higher? I notice
that there are other kinds of NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED errors at level 3 -
e.g.:

[2009/05/04 03:36:30,  3] smbd/error.c:error_packet_set(61)
   error packet at smbd/reply.c(729) cmd=117 (SMBtconX)
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

I only ask because my understanding is that level 1 still constitutes a
'warning', and yet you say there is nothing wrong with my configuration
(and, as I said, it works great :)). The way I have syslog configured,
though I will in future be spared these warnings breaking through to the
console, I will still have my 'messages' log fill up with these
'warnings'.

I am completely unskilled in the inner workings of Samba, so I am
certainly *not* saying I know better than you!! But if my configuration
really *is* OK, then these warning really are unnecessary - is there I way
I can silence them?

Thanks again

Barnaby