[Samba] Automating the Samba Install

Cameron Laird claird.visiprise at gmail.com
Fri May 1 22:38:43 GMT 2009

Expect is simply indispensable for much network and system management <URL:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/library/au-expect/ >.  It's easy to
misapply, though; briefly, your Expect script has far better intentions than
implementation.
Where you have
    spawn /usr/bin/net rpc rights list accounts -S smbsrv -U root
    expect -re "(^.*)$"
    sleep 2
    send "$MYPASSWD\r"
    expect eof
for example, my first recommendation would be
    log_user 0
    spawn net rpc rights list accounts -S smbsrv -U root
    expect assword:
    send $MYPASSWD\r
    expect eof
    puts $expect_out(buffer)
While I'm not certain of your requirements for this script, my version
should get you farther, and will be more reliable.

Cameron Laird
+1 817 280 1145  Building 27, Q2/#35
+1 281 648 9889