[Samba] Samba + LDAP + IIS = massive memory usage

Fri May 1 08:29:31 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 02:55:46PM +0100, Martin Edwards wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a bug or a problem we are causing which is why I'm
> posting to the list first in the hope that someone else might have come
> across it.
>
> We have been using Samba quite successfully for a number of years.  However,
> with this new setup we have a problem.
>
> We're using Samba as a backend for a web farm - 6 or 7 Windows servers
> running IIS with all the website data under UNC paths and all the anonymous
> web users and app pools running as domain users.
>
> Samba itself uses an LDAP backend.
>
> This setup works very nicely for our needs however we have an issue in that
> each Samba process belonging to one of the web servers seems to consume RAM
> indefinitely until it is killed.  When the servers are busy each thread can
> use 1GB in 20 minutes.
>
> Obviously this is extremely abnormal memory usage.
>
> My only guess is that, when a page is requested on a website and not found,
> Samba allocates the memory and does not free it?
>
> We have tried Samba 3.0, 3.2 and 3.3 (various iterations) and have
> experienced exactly the same problem.
>
> Can anyone offer any insight.  I would be most grateful.

Two steps: Can you run "smbcontrol <pid> pool-usage" on a
moderately large smbd and send the result? If that does not
show anything suspicious, we will ask you to run it under
valgrind --tool=memcheck. Be aware that this *significantly*
slows down operation, so you might need some kind of plan
how to do this. But it is the safest way to find out
what's going on.

Volker