[Samba] Proper use of tdbbackup

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Tue Mar 31 09:14:08 GMT 2009

I have googled a lot, but I have found no examples of the correct use of
the tdbbackup program.

I am looking for some advice on how to use tdbbackup. I mean, I know I
can simply run "tdbbackup *.tdb", but I was looking for in-depth
information on when and how to use it, about best practices on using it,
or what NOT to do.

The Samba documentations says I should run it in my start/stop scripts,
but it seems that no distribution actually does this. Why? Is there some
drawback that I don't understand?

I was thinking of running it every day as a chron job (not restarting
Samba) and saving some backlog (some days worth of old backups). Is it
useful? Since domain member machines change their domain password (am I
correct?) automatically, if I restore an old backup can this lead to
machines being unable to talk to the (samba) domain controller?

Thanks