[Samba] Automatic & Permanent Disconnect of WinXP Clients

RUTH, JONATHAN C jruth at kent.edu
Fri Mar 27 20:50:04 GMT 2009

Hello,

I'd like to enable my Samba server, either by the correct choice of standard configuration parameters or by custom script, to permanently log off and disconnect WinXP clients that have been "inactive" for a specified period of time.

>From my travels around the Web, I've seen this basic question asked by others, but no solutions have materialized.

The "deadtime" and "keepalive" parameters seem intended to enhance Samba server performance, not permanently log off users.  The "auto-reconnect" capabilities of WinXP clients, among other factors, also appear to contribute to keeping Samba connections open.

Anyone know of a sure-fire solution?

Thanks.

Jon

 Jon Ruth, Ph.D.