[Samba] Samba/LDAP Backend: Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Todd E Thomas todd_dsm at ssiresults.com
Fri Mar 27 19:37:51 GMT 2009

the answers follow the questions below:

did you run testparm -s and look for errors in smb.conf?
---
  Yes, I ran this a 1000 times. The answer: run it 1,001 times-
  There was a problem with wins
wins support = yes
wins server = 10.0.0.14
I kept wins server as that was in a sample at samba.org:
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/1.0._Configuring_Samba#1.1._smb.conf_PDC

testparm -s now executes without error.
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC
===

you don't need these two lines in smb.conf anymore:
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .

since you are using ldap and have ldap passwd sync = yes
---
This I found in the walk-through for combining samba/zimbra. I'm a bit novice
so I ran with it:
http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=UNIX_and_Windows_Accounts_in_Zimbra_LDAP_and_Zimbra_Admin_UI#Configuring_Samba

I'll try to create a few new users without these lines.
===

also, your ldap admin dn is wrong.  what is it in your slapd.conf file?
it should be something like  ldap admin dn =
cn=Manager,dc=zmail,dc=ptest,dc=us
---
Actually this is correct for the zimbra implementation of openldap. I don't
agree with getting so far away from a 'normal' OpenLDAP config but they must
have run into a snag along the way that necessitated this change.
===

did you do smbpasswd -w
---
Yes. It worked as expected.
===

The error still persists.

# service smb status
smbd dead but pid file exists
nmbd (pid 31030) is running...

It only stays on for a few minutes after you start it, then dies. There is
nothing dropped in any log. This makes me think that whatever it is - is fatal;
for the life of me I can't imagine what would cause that.