[Samba] Problems with idmap_adex module

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Mar 26 15:59:53 GMT 2009

Hey Ross,

> I'm having problems getting the new idmap_adex module to work.

Sorry about that.

> When using the idmap_adex plugin I get the following:
>
> # wbinfo -n administrator
> S-1-5-21-XXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXXXX-500 User (1)
> # wbinfo -i administrator
> Could not get info for user administrator
>
> As expected attempting to lookup user & group info
> via commands which use libnss also fail.
>
> The "administrator" account is setup with all the necessary
> rfc2307 attributes and works fine with the idmap_ad plugin.
> The uidNumber, gidNumber, and uid attributes have been added
> to the forests partial attribute set, as recommended by then
> idmap_adex man page.
>
> Idmap log throws up a couple of interesting lines (full log below):
> 1) "NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS"; although wbinfo --online-status
>  says domain is online and name to sid lookups work ok.
> 2) "could not find idmap alloc module adex"; idmap module is
> installed at /usr/lib/samba/idmap/adex.so, ad.so is in the same
> folder.

idmap_adex doesn't do uid/gid allocation so this is a normal
message.

> Domain & forest functional level are both Windows Server 2003.
> Running Samba/Winbind 3.3.1 on RHEL5, built from Fedora
> rawhide SRPM.
>
> Here is my smb.conf
> [global]
>         workgroup = LOCAL

The conf file looks fine.

> And here is log-winbindd-idmap at debug level 10:

> [2009/03/26 09:12:45, 10] winbindd/idmap_adex/likewise_cell.c:cell_do_search(382)
>   cell_do_search: Base = ,  Filter = (objectSid=\XX\....), Scope = 2, GC = yes
> [2009/03/26 09:12:45, 10] winbindd/idmap_adex/likewise_cell.c:cell_connect_dn(339)
>   Failed! (NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS)

Any chance i could get you to send me a network sniff of the failure
(off list)?   E.g.

  $ tcpdump -s 0 -w /tmp/dump.pcap \
    port 88 or port 53 or port 3268 or port 389

cheers, jerry
- --
Likewise Software                  ---------  http://www.likewise.com