[Samba] samba/ldap BDC slowness

Marco Barbero marco.barbero at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:02:22 GMT 2009

Hi list

To the point:.
I have a Samba/LDAP PDC that is working fine.
Now I added a Samba/LDAP BDC on a WAN.  I followed tips from
wiki.samba regarding LDAP replication and samba configurations.  It's
working but  I have noticed that when I try to access shares on BDC is
really slow.

I can notice this slowness using smbclient directly on BDC accessing
shares on BDC itself.
If I try to access shares on PDC using smbclient on BDC it's fast!
So I suspect is something related to authentication on BDC.  Anyone
has any hints regarding this?

PDC:  Debian Etch, Samba 3.0.24, smbldap-tools 0.9.2-3, slapd 2.3.30
BDC:  Debian Lenny, Samba 3.2.5, smbldap-tools 0.9.4, slapd 2.4.11

Also:  pdbedit -Lvu on PDC is fast,  on BDC is slow.  getent passwd is
fast on both

Anyone has any hints regarding this issue?

Thanks in advance