[Samba] Multiple instances of winbindd

Johnny Dahlen johnny.dahlen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 09:22:23 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a system where two physical machines are clustered and
have virtual hosts (two, at the moment) that can fail over between the two.
Each virtual host serves their own samba shares which means that in the case
where both virtual hosts run on the same machine there are two active samba
instances. Each listens to their own IP-address, of course.

The samba installations are connected to our active directory and uses
winbind. Everything seems to work well, with separate pid-, lock-directories
etc. The problem is that winbindd creates a pipe under /tmp/.winbindd which
creates a conflict between the instances. Is there a way to get around this?

We're running Solaris 5.10 and Samba 3.0.33.

Regards,
Johnny