[Samba] " Failed to connect to IPC$ share on localhost" when running the "net rpc group add" command.

Dorrian, William M William.M.Dorrian at usace.army.mil
Tue Mar 24 21:02:49 GMT 2009

Probably an easy one for most of you:

I'm trying to create nested groups on my Samba server. When running "net rpc
group add" I am prompted for my root password and receive the error: "Failed
to connect to IPC$ share on localhost". When I use my other login I receive:

# net rpc group add Admins -L -U bill
Enter bill's password:
Failed to add alias 'Admins' with: Access is denied.

Note: wbinfo -u works every time, my shares are working, but "net rpc group"
won't add anyone.

This the relevant info from my smb.conf:
   encrypt passwords = yes
   interfaces = lo eth0
   bind interfaces only = yes
   workgroup = TEST
   security = ads
   idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
   idmap backend = rid:"TEST=16777216-33554431"
   template shell = /bin/false
   template homedir = /home/%U
   winbind use default domain = yes
   winbind enum users = no
   winbind enum groups = no
   winbind nested groups = yes
   realm = TEST.DS.USACE.ARMY.MIL
   password server = testdc.ds.usace.army.mil
   use kerberos keytab = True
   client signing = auto
   server signing = auto
   allow trusted domains = no

[samba]
   path = /samba
   public = yes
   store dos attributes = yes
   nt acl support = yes
   map acl inherit = yes
   inherit acls = yes
   acl map full control = yes
   dos filemode = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

Thanks,
Bill D.

"Give a man a fish and you've freed him up for the day to write a poem,
compose a song, or howl at the Gods. Teach a man to fish and you've doomed
him to a lifetime as a fisherman."

-Rodney Anonymous