[Samba] regpatch problem ?

denis.bonnenfant denis.bonnenfant at diderot.org
Mon Mar 23 14:29:25 GMT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to use the samba4 registry tools for server-side editing of
HKCU (ntuser.dat) on a Debian Etch samba 3 server.
I was very pleased to see that backporting Debian experimental's samba4
package was very easy, so now I have a backported-to-Etch registry-tools
package to start experiments :

- regshell -F ntuser.dat works, one can manually add, remove, modify
keys and values. But this is not really suitable for batch process

- regtree -F ntuser.dat works too,

- regpatch -F ntuser.dat  patch.reg doesn't load the ntuser.dat (I
verified with strace, it is not opened ).  It looks like the -F option
is silentely ignored . The .reg file is correctly parsed.

Did I missed something ?

It looks like the file option is not used, so regpatch defaults to local
registry,  wich doesn't exists, as i'm using regpatch standalone

What about something like that  ?

    if (remote) {
        h = reg_common_open_remote (remote, ev_ctx, cmdline_lp_ctx,
cmdline_credentials);
+    } else if (file != NULL) {
+       start_key = reg_common_open_file(file, ev_ctx, cmdline_lp_ctx,
cmdline_credentials);
    } else {
        h = reg_common_open_local (cmdline_credentials, ev_ctx,
cmdline_lp_ctx);
    }

But the problem is that start_key is a reg_key struct, and
reg_diff_apply needs a reg_context struct, so start_key has to be
"mounted" over a predefined key, passed by the user ? maybe by an option
:  -K, for example :

regpatch -F ntuser.dat -K HKEY_CURRENT_USER patch.reg

Thanks for your comments, ideas,

Denis