[Samba] smbd cannot be killed

Fri Mar 20 20:22:43 GMT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:15:41AM -0700, Ted Hilts wrote:
> I don't think so.  I think his cpu is swamped  -- I've seen this many
> times.  I solved the problem by having a monitor machine which I telnet
> (but you can log on to another machine in several ways). When the
> problem occurs the pre connect between both machines allows the monitor
> machine tto execute a command line  "kill 2345" or whatever the process
> id happens to be. It is desireable to have the monitor machine window or
> desktop determine the process ID in advance so that the kill command is
> sitting there waiting for the enter key to be pressed.  This makes the
> process very fast otherwise it may take 5 minutes to obtain the
> information from the swamped machine over to the monitor machine.  I do
> not know of any way of "limiting" the CPU useage so that when the
> swamping occurs there is enough available cpu that one can do
> administrative tasks.  But when the monitor approach is used there
> always seems to be just enough CPU resources in the swamped machine to
> allow continued communications (slow) with the monitor machine. I do
> this monitor thing as user "name" and not as "sudo".  Hope this helps.
> Anyway, in a big system there should probably always be a monitoring system.

If you have swamped machines frequently, we need to know
about it. I had understood the original reporter in a way
that kill -9 really does not kill the processes which even
under load after a while should get rid of processes.

And my experience is that CPU load is a lot easier to handle
than memory over load where the machine swaps like mad.

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

Volker