[Samba] Short delay when logging in an XP client to a Samba PDC

Eric Woltermann wolleric at gmx.de
Fri Mar 20 18:54:08 GMT 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm using Samba 3.0.30 as PDC in my home-LAN, the clients are all XP Pro SP2.
Everything is working as it should, although I notice an annoying and quite
random login delay of 1-5 seconds for all user-machine combinations. The log
lines below (log-level 2) are for example what I got about an hour ago:

[2009/03/20 18:43:45, 3] smbd/open.c:open_file(240)
  Tester opened file Tester/ntuser.ini read=Yes write=No (numopen=2)
[2009/03/20 18:43:49, 3] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(228)
  Tester closed file Tester/ntuser.dat (numopen=1)

The delay is always between opening and closing ntuser.ini and ntuser.dat. These
two files are around 2MB together and should not cause a four second delay on my
100MBit link. I guess there is some problematic setting in the registry hive
that causes that delay.
Has anyone around here ever noticed that "problem"? I know a few seconds are no
big deal, but I'm a perfectionist anyway. :)

Greets,
Eric