[Samba] smbd cannot be killed

Sergey Manucharian sergey at ingeniware.com
Fri Mar 20 04:32:58 GMT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:47:36 -0700 (PDT)
"Yan Seiner" <yan at seiner.com> wrote:

> On Thu, March 19, 2009 3:58 pm, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > But once in a week it stops working - the DB program cannot
> > access some files in the share, and also I cannot restart the Samba
> > - several instances of smbd continue running and even "kill -9 smbd"
> > doesn't help. After I restart the system in such cases everything
> > starts working properly.
> >
> > Could somebody point the direction I should go to catch the actual
> > problem?
>
> Samba logs?
>
> What does 'ps auxww | grep mbd' say?

Thanks for reply, Yan.

Well, I need to catch such an event one more time...
Both log.smbd and log.smbd.old already do not include the time period
of the failure, log.nmbd contains nothing suspicious (during that time),
just a lot of stuff like:

 process_name_query_request: ...
 process_host_announce: ...
 process_logon_packet: ...
 write_browse_list: ...

Process list at the moment shows 1 nmbd and 12 smbd processes, all
sleeping - again, I need to capture it during the failure. The bad
thing is that when such a failure happens, I do not have much time,
since the users cannot wait - I restart the server ASAP :)

Sergey.