[Samba] Samba logs fill up disk with inotify errors, smbd 100% CPU

Stephane Carre scarre.lu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:58:29 GMT 2009

Hello,
One of the server I maintain has Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server with samba
3.0.28a. Kernel version is 2.6.24-16-server. The samba setup for this
server is a workgroup environment, with user level security.
At least once a week, sometimes more often, the server becomes
unavailable because the system disk is full. It appears that the samba
logs are the problem. Although the samba configuration file indicates
that logs should be limited to 1000K, one of the machine specific logs
(/var/log/samba/log.machine_xyz.old) grows to the point of entirely
filling the disk (140 GB of log). The log file contains endless
repetitions of the same message:
smbd/notify_inotify.c:inotify_handler(240) No data on inotify fd?!
At the same time, the smbd process for the user related to the faulty
machine log uses 100% CPU, and must be stopped with kill -9. Note that
it not always the same machine that creates the problem.
Because some users are never affecting the system, we tried to identify
if the origin of the problem was linked to a specific data manipulation
by some of the 'bad' users, but we are still clueless.
I found some info in this list with similarities to my problem where the
suggestion is to include "notify:inotify = false" in [global] to see if
it helps (http://www.mail-archive.com/samba%40lists.samba.org/msg98074.html)
I've just done this, so I will have to wait and see.
Otherwise, would you have any idea or suggestion ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.