[Samba] bad performance Vista <-> Samba over gbit

Neo [GC] neo at gothic-chat.de
Sun Mar 15 09:37:57 GMT 2009

Jeremy Allison schrieb:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 10:21:20AM +0100, Neo [GC] wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've a strange issue with the performance of file transfers between a
>> Samba server and a Vista client.
>>

> Is this reading or writing to the Samba server ?
>
> Jeremy.

Both directions.
I've made another little tests. I've again copied the same test-file to
the samba-server (still 7MB/s) and my MacBook (which runs the
Apple-provided version of Samba) (still over 20MB/s with 40MB/s peak)
and vice versa.
Then I copied the same file to and from the samba-server, but with ftp
(proftpd running on the fileserver) and guess what: 45MB/s!

Does Vista maybe under some circumtances use some kind of screwed up
fallback protocol, which is so much slower than it should be? Even over
100Mbit fast ethernet I should get more than 7MB/s!
I'm beginning to believe, that M$ wan't to tell me, to use their
overpriced so-called "server software". :-/

Neo / Tom