[Samba] Re: Can not clear Read-only attribute

tom m. tomm at lime-technology.com
Thu Mar 12 00:56:27 GMT 2009

Jeremy Allison <jra <at> samba.org> writes:

> > Here is output of 'testparm':
> >
> > [global]
> >         workgroup = MSHOME
> >         server string = Samba server
> >         null passwords = Yes
> >         log level = 3
> >         log file = /var/log/sambalog
> >         unix extensions = No
> >         load printers = No
> >         printcap name = /dev/null
> >         disable spoolss = Yes
> >         show add printer wizard = No
> >         local master = No
> >         ldap ssl = no
> >         force user = root
> >         create mask = 0711
> >         directory mask = 0711
> >         use sendfile = Yes
> >         map hidden = Yes
> >         map system = Yes
> >         msdfs root = Yes
>
> Ah, you're mapping attributes into file permissions.
>
> That's not a good idea these days. Use extended attributes
> and map DOS attributes into ea's instead.
>
>         ea support = yes
>         store dos attributes = yes
>         map system = no
>         map archive = no
>         map readonly = no
>
> Jeremy.

I'm not against doing that, but does add some work: rebuild extended attribute
support in kernel, change fstab, etc.  But if I do this, what will be the state
of all the attribute bits of existing files?  That is, will files marked
Read-only now suddenly be not Read-only?  How about System/Hidden files?

Also, what is different from my config that is causing this problem vs. other
posters who report that it works ok for them?  Here are the config options I
used for building Samba:

./configure \
  --enable-static=no \
  --enable-shared=yes \