[Samba] Can't modify ms word files with samba 3.3

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Mar 10 05:54:14 GMT 2009

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 07:29:15PM +0100, Michele Petrazzo - Unipex srl wrote:
>> Jeremy Allison wrote:
>>> Ok, that's very helpful and also tells me why I've
>>> seen few problem reports of this.
>>>
>>> Can you try the test patch for 3.3.1 I just
>>> published ?
>> The error changes:
>> before I had a Access Deny and now a "there's been a network error"
>>
>> here is the picture:
>> http://s5.tinypic.com/xcpug6.jpg
>>
>>>  A wireshark trace between Office2K7
>>> and a Windows server would also be very helpful.
>>>
>> I'll do in few minutes and I'll send you it.
>
> Ok, I think the following patch should fix the issues
> you're seeing. It should apply on top of, or in place
> of my previous patch - shouldn't matter.
>
> It causes all opens requiring SEC_RIGHT_SYSTEM_SECURITY
> to fail as Windows does with NT_STATUS_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD,
> which should cause the client to correctly back down
> and rety the open without this privilege.
>
> Let me know if it works for you !
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeremy.

Jeremy, All,

	I installed 3.3.1 in standalone mode on openSuSE 11.0. No problems reading and
writing MS Word files to/from the server with Word 2007 (word 97-03 .doc
format) I pulled level 10's just in case anyone wanted to see them for
comparison, etc.. (Not that they would show anything that exciting)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC