[Samba] Samba 4 Alpha 7 Authentication issue

Matthew Holder mattmole at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:16:42 GMT 2009

Dear All,

I am attempting to setup a DC using Samba 4 Alpha 7 as a learning
tool. Eventually where I work will want a DC setup, and I can learn
the skills needed using the alpha code.

I have tried following the howto guide included with the source on the
following setups:

3xvirtual machines using VMware.
1xphysical hardware using Ubuntu 8.10

Each setup has stumbled at the same step:

After compiling and installing alpha 7, I provision the system and
then proceed to loading samba4, and testing, by using smbclient to
view the [test] share I created as instructed.

The problem I find is that whenever I enter

./smbclient //localhost/test -Uadministrator%PASSWORD

the command never stops running. If I enter the incorrect password on
purpose, then an error is shown (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE). Using a
different username shows the following error
(NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE).

I have tried using a simple password, a long password containing
uppercase, lowercase, numbers and also a password with other
characters in.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Matt

--