[Samba] Setting up a Samba school for a school environment

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Mar 9 19:27:28 GMT 2009

Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>> Can someone please give me some direction on where to start, we are looking to setup a
>> pdc and bdc with an ldap backend, if that is still possible.
>>

> It is very possible to create an NT4 domain PDC and that works well fo
> what it is.  But it is hard to believe you'd want to setup an NT4 domain
> these days:  it won't work at all with Windows 7, and Vista ignores the
> old policy mechanism (ntconfig.pol).
It's been a week since this statement was made by Mr. Williams, and I
have seen no one contradict it.

I've read this thread:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2009-February/063187.html
and I've read the 3.3.1 release notes, both of which offer some hope,
but no official rebuttal has been made to this point.

So, does Windows 7 mark the end of the Samba-3 DC, or will a workaround
be forthcoming prior to the release of Windows 7?
With apologies to Mr. Spock, I'm hoping that it will "live long and
prosper"!

Dale