[Samba] Samba AD auth - Backup?

Dale Schroeder dale at BriannasSaladDressing.com
Mon Mar 9 18:19:49 GMT 2009

Mark Adams wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I haven't received a response from anyone on this - Can anyone help?
>
> Is there any way to have samba simply use the current records stored in
> /var/lib/samba/ if the password server(s) is unavailable?

Have you already tried these parameters?
    password server = server1, server2
    winbind offline logon = Yes

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/PAM_Offline_Authentication

http://mailman.mit.edu/pipermail/kerberos/2002-November/002182.html
>> Regards,
>> Mark
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 03:15:33PM -0500, Ryan Bair wrote:
>>
>>> Everything should be looked up by DNS. There's no notion of a PDC/BDC
>>> in AD (although 2008 has readonly slaves I believe).

In addition to backing up /var/lib/samba/*, consider a consistent idmap
backend, e.g.
    idmap backend = rid:DOMAIN=10000-20000 (or whatever numbers you choose)

Dale